Upcoming Training Sessions
June 28th 2018: "Using NASA Earth Observations to Predict and Monitor Vector-borne and Water-related Diseases - Advanced Level"
GPM Webinar Series
We are in the process of planning the next GPM Applications webinars for 2018. Exact topics are not yet determined, but see below for some possibilities. If you have a particular topic you would like to see addressed in a future webinar, please contact us.
- Hands-on exercise for attendees to access GPM Level-3 (IMERG V4) data in their watersheds/river-basins/regions by using open source software (Python, QGIS)
- Hands-on exercise for attendees to access GPM Level-2 data and constellation data by using open source software
- GPM validation updates
- Application theme-based webinar with specific end-user organization(s), for example related to water resources management, disasters, health.
Check back here for further details once they are announced.
Recent Training Sessions
(2017 - 2018)
Using NASA Earth Observing Data for Monitoring and Response to Vector-borne and Water-borne Diseases
May 8th, 2018
View a Recording of the Training Webinar
(Right-click -> Save As to download video file)
GPM Agricultural Applications Workshop
August 1, 2017
This one-day workshop focused on engaging the governmental and non-governmental organizations, public and private industry, academia, and other end users on how NASA precipitation and other water data can be used for agricultural applications and support decision making.
Status of Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) Mission Data Products and Applications
May 3, 2017
- Apply open-source data and tools to flood monitoring and management
- Utilize satellite observations to evaluate extreme weather conditions, prepare for impending flooding, and plan relief activities
- GPM New Data Access Capabilities
- NASA/World Bank E-book
- GPM Applications and Upcoming Workshops
NASA Remote Sensing for Flood Monitoring and Management
April 18 - 20, 2017
- Session 1A: Precipitation from Remote Sensing Measurements
- Session 1B: Digital Elevation Data from Remote Sensing
- Session 2A: Overview of Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Data for Flood Detection
- Session 2B: Soil Moisture Active Passive (SMAP) Mission
- Session 3A: Flood Management and Monitoring Tools
- Session 3B: Flood Monitoring and Management Case Study
Older Training Sessions
(2015 - 2016)
Overview of Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) Mission, Data Products and Data Access Tools
December 8, 2015
- GPM Core Satellite: Orbital Configuration, Sensors (GMI, DPR) GPM Constellation Satellites
- GPM Data Products: Level-2 to Level-3 Data Sets from GMI, DPR and Combined GMI-DPR, IMERG Filename Conventions, Formats Spatial and Temporal Resolutions and Coverage Data Search and Access Web-tools Data Quality Potential Data Applications
GPM Data Product Updates and Demonstration of Web-tools for Data Search, Analysis, Visualization, and Download
March 15, 2016
- GPM Products: Data Updates, quality, and Validation Information
- Demonstration of Web-tools: Giovanni, PPS-STORM, Mirador, Spatial and temporal Sub-setting by Shapefile
- Data Visualization: Maps and Time Series, Data Formats and Download Options
Demonstration of Case Studies of Data Import and Analysis in GIS
June 14, 2016
- GPM Products: Review and Updates
- Demonstration of Importing Level-2 and IMERG data into GIS
- Demonstration of Case Studies (TBD): Analysis of IMERG Rain and Snow Products with additional GIS layers including Weather, Vegetation, Terrain, and Socio-economic Data for GPM Applications
Tutorial on Using Python Scripts for Reading GPM Data
September 13, 2016
- GPM Products: Data Review and Data Quality
- Step-by-Step tutorial on Downloading and Reading GPM Level-2 and IMERG Products by Using Python Scripts
- View a recording of Part 1 of the webinar – GPM Data Updates
- View a recording of Part 2 of the webinar – Python Demos
- Download the webinar slides (.pdf)
**NOTE: please use these files rather than those downloadable during Part 1 of the webinar above – some errors in the scripts were found and corrected. **
Precipitation Remote Sensing - Overview of TRMM and GPM
March 17, 2015
An overview of ARSET, an introduction to precipitation remote sensing, an overview of TRMM, introduction to the GPM mission and sensors, and examples of precipitation data applications.
TRMM/GPM Data Products and Data Access Tools
March 24, 2015
A review of session one; an overview of GPM rainfall data, including data processing levels and data formats; and an overview of GPM data access tools, including a demonstration of GPM data visualization.
Demonstration of Data Access and GIS Applications
March 31, 2015
A review of sessions one and two, information on GPM-IMERG from guest speaker Dr. George Huffman (NASA-GSFC), a case study using GPM-IMERG Precipitation Data for Hurricane Arthur, and a course summary.